Thermo Mechanically Treated or TMT bars are reinforcement bars known for high-tensile strength, superior ductility, corrosion resistance, and much more. Once the bars are formed from steel billets using roller conveyors, they undergo water quenching. Following this step, the bars are left to self-temper. The final step in manufacturing TMT bars is atmospheric cooling. Finally, the bars are worthy of being called TMT bars.
Before we further explore the features and applications of TMT bars let’s see how these three processes contribute to producing high-quality rebars.
How are TMT bars Manufactured?
The bars exit the rolling conveyor and undergo water quenching. Water quenching rapidly cools the outer layer while the inner core remains soft. This rapid cooling hardens the outer surface and forms a martensitic rim while the core remains hot and austenitic.
During self-tempering, the heat from the core is distributed throughout the bar, creating a structure known as Tempered Martensite. This feature increases the strength range of the bars.
Next, the bars are left to cool at the normal atmospheric temperature on a cooling bed. This step is crucial to ensure the weldability of the bars as, at this stage, the core transforms into a ferrite-pearlite structure.
What are the Features of TMT Bars?
TMT Bars are the choice of rebars preferred by experts in the construction industry because of their superior features:
- Corrosion Resistance: Steel is prone to disintegration in the presence of chloride ions. However, the thermal and mechanical treatment of TMT bars makes them resistant to corrosion.
- Earthquake Resistant: The thermo mechanical treatment used in manufacturing TMT bars makes the rebars produced by the best TMT bar companies highly flexible and ductile. This feature helps buildings retain their structure even during earthquakes.
- Heat Resistance: TMT bars can withstand temperatures up to 600 degrees Celsius. If the structure catches fire, TMT bars don’t melt away easily and hold up the structure.
- Fatigue Resistant: The ability of TMT bars to withstand cyclic stress is significantly higher than other rebars.
- Flexibility: Flexibility is a pivotal structure of TMT bars. It is instrumental in absorbing shocks from earthquakes and floods.
- Better Bonding With Cement: The ribbed pattern on TMT bars allows for better bonding with cement by increasing friction.
- Environmental Friendly: TMT bar manufacturers are able to save up to 17% steel as compared to traditional steel bars. TMT bars can be recycled and reused without any loss or damage, adding to their sustainability. Source
- Easy Workability: TMT bars are highly preferred in constructions of all sorts as they provide the perfect balance of strength and flexibility. Their thin rod-like shape and manageable size also make them easier to transport.
Application of TMT Bars
The superior strength and various features make it suitable for a variety of construction projects. The best TMT bar companies produce a range of sizes. Depending on the size, they may be used in different parts of a project:
- 8mm to 10mm TMT bars: These are commonly used in stairs and slabs. 8mm to 10mm bars serve as load-bearing members in slab homes.
- 12mm to 25mm TMT bars: These are used in beams and columns depending on load and strength demand. They contribute to withstanding external loads.
- 32mm to 36mm TMT bars: These are typically used in complex construction projects such as dams and bridges.
Keep in mind that this is only a generalized representation and only deals with the most common application of the different sizes of TMT bars. Different sizes of TMT bars may be used according to the unique demands of projects and design specifications.
TMT bars are highly ductile and resistant to fatigue, heat, corrosion, and seismic activity. They provide superior strength to structures, flexibility, enhanced bonding, and enhanced workability to their unique structure.
If you are looking for high-quality TMT bars, Ganesh Super is a reputed TMT manufacturer. Make sure that the TMT bars you purchase are the correct size for the type of construction you are undertaking. Experts in the construction industry choose TMT bars for their superb features and wide range of applications. TMT bars are an indispensable component of any construction project, from providing support to slabs and stairs to holding up dams, bridges, and skyscrapers.